Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What's Your Motivation?

How do you get from here...

...to here?

By writing down your goals, that's how!

What's the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? If you're anything like me you might be thinking, "I'd like a few more minutes of sleep before I start thinking, thank you very much!" By the time the bed is made, the prayers are said, the shower is taken, the make-up is on, the kitties are fed, breakfast is eaten, the dishes are done, the laundry is in...need I say more? In a matter of 30 minutes I've become so focused on what needs to be done today and all my to do's that I forget about why I am doing it all in the first place.

Recently I was reminded about the power of setting goals and the impact they have on our lives, even when we don't see it right away. The reality is, we all have goals whether we speak them aloud or not. But how often do we take the time write them down, flesh them out and make them real, measurable and attainable?

A few months ago I felt inspired to put my mental/unspoken goals into words and write a few of them down. I wrote down my 1-year career and business goals and my 1-year personal and family goals and then my 5-year career and business goals and my 5-year personal and family goals. I also cut some pictures out of a magazine to go along with those goals to help me visualize them better. As a part of this project I found and framed my favorite quote that symbolizes what I call "my motivation". It hangs above my desk so I can read it often. It has been so inspiring!

And what's even more notable is that in just a short few months I have already seen ways that I have moved toward achieving my goals. Most of the time I don't even realize that's what I'm doing until later. Articulating and writing down my goals also makes me look forward to finding ways to achieve those goals during the day when otherwise I would just be caught up in the who, what, when, and where of my life, forgetting all about the why.

So what does all this have to do with organizing you might ask? Well, a whole lot if you ask me (which I'm pretending you did!). If we can focus a little more on the why aspect of life we begin to live with more purpose. We make better decisions about our time and the things that fill our time and that, my friends, has a lot to do with organizing--the decisions we make with our time are an important part of living a balanced, happy life.

So ask yourself, "What's my motivation?" and then take a few minutes to write down some long term goals today. Put the pen to the paper and don't be afraid of writing down those "big dreams." Seeing those come true is the best part! Then, put your mind and your energy to achieving those worthwhile goals. Let the things that aren't truly important slip away and start living with direction and purpose! You will thank yourself later for it and so will your family and friends! :)


P.S. As a result of Googling for a good picture for this post I ran across some great links that expound on goal setting. Check out Goal Setting: The 90-Day Challenge and Cultivate Greatness. Both have great information on them. Happy goal setting--I'd love to hear what you have to say on this topic!

No comments:

Projects

Take a look at some of my organizing success! (Photos and text used with permission.)

Before

Before
Cluttered Desk

After

After
Clean and Clear of Clutter

Chaotic Shelf

Neat and Tidy Home Office

Client Feedback

I work out of a home office without any administrative support. I worked with Melissa to organize both my personal and professional effects as I prepared to relocate. I wish I had done it years ago. While organizing my office and paperwork Melissa identified my natural tendencies and created an organizational structure that was easy for me to maintain. When I began looking for a personal organizer, I mostly wanted someone else to come in and take care of the mess I had allowed to build up over the years. Working with an “uninterested” party during the purging process helped me lighten my load considerably. During the process Melissa provided me with simple intuitive skills that have not only allowed me to maintain my newly found order but help friends and family organize as well. I can honestly say hiring Melissa is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Kelsi Reeves